Applications and Forms

Floodplain Application

In accordance with the Comal County Flood Damage Prevention Order, Article 5, Section A, all new construction for improvements to substantially damaged structures within a special flood hazard area must follow specific provisions. In order for the County to determine whether structures are located within a special flood hazard area, all new construction and improvements to substantially damaged structures must apply for a Flood Plain Development Permit with the Comal County Engineer's Office.

  1. Floodplain Development Permit Application, completed.
  2. Drawing, to scale, showing all property lines and existing and proposed structures tied into the property lines.
  3. Recorded proof of ownership of the property. Example: warranty deed, release of lien, etc.
  4. $40.00 application fee. (Checks made payable to Comal County Treasurer)

Once all information has been received, the County will make a determination as to whether the structures of substantial improvements are located within the special flood hazard area. When the County finds an applicant to be within the special hazard area, the property owner will need to comply with the Comal County Flood Damage Prevention Order in order to build their structures.

Floodplain Permit Application


FEMA Elevation Certificate

The FEMA Elevation Certificate is an important administrative tool of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). It is to be used to provide elevation information necessary to ensure compliance with community floodplain management ordinances, to determine the proper insurance premium rate, and to support a request for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) or Letter of Map Revision based on fill (LOMR-F).

The Elevation Certificate is required in order to properly rate post-FIRM buildings, which are buildings constructed after publication of the Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM), located in flood insurance Zones A1-A30, AE, AH, A (with BFE), VE, V1-V30, V (with BFE), AR, AR/A, AR/AE, AR/A1-A30, AR/AH, and AR/AO. The Elevation Certificate is not required for pre-FIRM buildings unless the building is being rated under the optional post-FIRM flood insurance rules.

FEMA Elevation Certificate Application


FEMA Flood Proofing Certificate

The flood proofing of non-residential buildings may be permitted as an alternative to elevating to or above the Base Flood Elevation; however, a flood proofing design certification is required. This form is to be used for that certification. Flood proofing of a residential building does not alter a community’s floodplain management elevation requirements or affect the insurance rating unless the community has been issued an exception by FEMA to allow flood proofed residential basements. The permitting of a flood proofed residential basement requires a separate certification specifying that the design complies with the local floodplain management ordinance.

FEMA Flood Proofing Certificate Application


OSSF/Floodplain Development Application Checklist

Get OSSF/Floodplain Checklist