Building in the Unincorporated Areas of Comal County?

Required Permits

When building within the unincorporated parts of Comal County, there are potentially five permits from Comal County that need to be obtained during construction. The first is the Septic Permit. This permit is submitted along with a design from a registered engineer or sanitarian. The engineer or sanitarian certifies that their design complies with all the regulations set forth by the state of Texas. The Septic Permit Application and Permit Checklist are available on-line. If it is determined* by the Comal County Engineer's Office that the proposed development associated with the Septic Permit is within the regulatory floodplain, then a Floodplain Development Permit will be required, which is the second permit that may be issued by Comal County.

If a proposed development is not associated with a Septic Permit, the Comal County Engineer’s Office provides a floodplain development determination* through the submittal of a Floodplain Determination Checklist. If it is determined* by the Comal County Engineer’s Office that the development proposed is within the regulatory floodplain, then a Floodplain Development Permit will be required. The Floodplain Application is available on-line.

The third permit is a Private Improvement in the Public Right-of-Way (PIPROW) Permit. This permit is typically obtained whenever the final driveway that attaches to a county road is installed. The PIPROW Permit Application is available on-line.

A fourth permit will be required from the Fire Marshal's Office for all commercial buildings, public buildings, and multifamily residential dwellings containing four or more residences, pursuant to the 2012 International Fire Code. The Fire Marshal's Building Permit Web Page is available here.

Finally, the passage of the Camp Bullis Dark Skies Zone Order may require you to have a permit if you plan to install any new outdoor lighting within those affected areas of Comal County. For more information, including a map of the zone boundaries as well as a copy of the order itself, click here.

Please note that the above described permits are required by Comal County. Property owners need to be aware that there may be other requirements by Property Owners Associations, municipalities, utility companies, and the state and federal governments.

* As part of the floodplain development determination, the Comal County Engineer’s Office will review compliance with the Comal County Subdivision Regulations.